Tuesday, June 2, 2015

TOTR: Running Breaks



Today's Tuesday's on the Run topic is running breaks. This is an interesting topic for me--mostly because I've put more mileage in this year than ever before and haven't really taken a full out "running break" in over a year.

I don't run everyday (well, except for right now as a part of the RW Running Streak) but I can't remember the last time I took more than 3 days off in a row. And usually by the time that third day rolls around, my legs are itching to move.

BUT that being said, I think taking running breaks can be a good thing, especially if you're feeling burnt out or no longer enjoy running. I don't ever want to get to the point where I wake up in the morning and dread going out for a run.

When I was younger, I was WAY into playing basketball. I LOVED it. It was all I wanted to do, all I thought about--heck, in first grade when you were asked what you wanted to be when you grew up, I was dead set on being the first woman in the NBA (ha!). As I got older, basketball no longer became a seasonal thing and I started playing year round with no breaks. At first, it was awesome. But then after a while, basketball became a chore. I dreaded going to practice, I dreaded weekend's away at tournaments... I dreaded it all. And you know what? By my senior year of high school, I was done. I didn't want to play anymore and for the first time in my life, I quit something. And instead, I focused more on the other sports I played.

I still regret quitting because I'm no quitter. But looking back and remembering how miserable I was, I know I needed to take a step back.

With running, I don't ever want to get to that point. I don't want to get to a place in my life where running is something I HAVE to do and not something I WANT to do. Running is my passion and I can't imagine my life without it. But I've learned my lesson with basketball and if I/when I get to the point where it's no longer enjoyable, I'll know that I need to take a step back and redevelop that passion.

If you're feeling burnt out from an activity, maybe it's time to take a week, a month or heck, a year off. You never know what you'll discover during your break. Heck, when I quit basketball, that's when I first started dabbling with the idea of running... and now look at me.
Or you may go back to whatever it is you're taking a break from with more fervor than ever before.

The main thing is--LISTEN to your body, your mind, and you're heart. If something's no longer enjoyable, take a step back and reevaluate. It could be exactly what you need.

Have you ever taken a break from running? Or something else in your life? 

Sarah

9 comments:

  1. I've taken 12 weeks off from running due to an injury. I was so frustrated at the time, but in hind sight I think it saved me from mentally burning out. I was so excited to start running again! I did completely burn out from swimming when I was in high school. I trained competitively at a National level and spent about 60 hours a week training. I felt like I missed out on a lot in high school and never found a sustainable balance. I ended up quitting before college, and although I miss it, I don't think I would have survived training at a college level. Learning balance between training and personal life is so important in preventing burn out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Breaks definitely help--sometimes more mentally than physically. I know when I take a week off, I'm so ready to get back out there and am usually more motivated than ever!

      Delete
  2. Breaks from almost anything in life are so good for the body/mind :) helps me recharge and re-focus. So happy that you're halfway to your 2,015 miles!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yep!! totally! they are definitely refreshing!! and thanks! I still have a long way to go but feel pretty good about my chances for getting there!! :)

      Delete
  3. I'm currently taking my first running break in years, and while I know it's a good thing (I just ran my first marathon two weekends ago and my feet were still sore until yesterday), I am worried about losing the fitness and speed I worked so hard for. But I'm hoping it will come back quickly once I get out there. I'm super impressed with your total yearly mileage so far!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ahh, i'm so excited to run my first marathon in November!! Congrats on yours! That's such a HUGE accomplishment! I definitely planning on taking a short break after my marathon--no doubt!

      Delete
  4. So important to listen to your body! Breaks are not a bad thing! That's awesome that you've had such a high mileage so far this year, I don't think I've ever run that much in a year let alone 6 months, so kudos!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yep! listening to your body is KEY! and thank you!

      Delete
  5. I'm currently wrapping up a running break and I really needed it mentally. I was tired of having to run a specific number of miles on a specific day... Right now I'm just running however far and fast I feel like. And I'm enjoying that.

    ReplyDelete